They say 13 is an unlucky number. For me, it was the age when I got acne. Fine little pink spots started popping on my face. First, I thought they were freckles. I found them to be cute.
However, they did not subside. Ulta, they started sprouting on my forehead too.
Dekhte hi dekhte, my face became a farm of pimples and zits.
I was taken to the best doctors in the city. Time and again, they said, “Iss umer mein hota hai.” Just like my phoppo, pichaye hi parh gaye! Years passed by, but the zits remained.
As they never cleared up, my face and neck became an experiment lab of sorts. My mom had totkas. My sisters had herbal remedies. My khaala ki honay wali bahu had homeopathic miracles.
Around my 18th birthday, I started losing sleep over my lingering acne problem. One night as I was lying in my bed, I picked up my phone and started reading international articles about getting clear skin.
All of them talked about drinking at least 2 to 3 liters of water and cutting on caffeine and junk food. It also warned me not to smoke. So, my girls with sheesha habits, you have been warned.
At same time, I went on to read some Zubeida apa ke totkay. Much to my amazement, one of the tips worked for me. However, it’s an embarrassing story. Originally, I was to mix ingredients and use the mixture on my face.
Magr, I drank it—and much to my surprise, the taste of this acne remedy grew on me.
How to treat acne naturally?
This wonderful totka is made up of ingredients you can find at home. Of course, you can make a summer salad out of it, but drinking this as a mixture is far easier. Plus, I generally consume this first thing in the morning after brushing my teeth.
This drink is versatile too. It also works like a detox too.
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 1/4th teaspoon honey (optional)
- A pinch of black salt (optional)
- Ice cold water
- Cut the cucumber in broad slices.
- Juice the entire lemon
- Take a blender. Put the cucumber slices, lemon, and ice cold water and blitz it all up into a smoothie like consistency. I prefer to add honey and kala namak in it too. If your blender can handle, use ice cubes instead of ice-cold water.
- Drink this 3 to 5 times a week for a month.
- If you do not want to drink this, just blend the first three ingredients into a paste and use it on your face.
- Of course, stop using the remedy if you develop any allergies.
- As with all herbal remedies, inform your doctor before using this remedy.
P.S. Time bachao! Use these quick recipes for your next meal.